Things are starting to add up...


homer simpson looking worried



Focus this week:

This week has been about maths and how it relates to software engineering. After trying out JavaScript challenges I realised I needed to brush up on my basic maths knowledge.

For a lot of people (including me) when you hear the word “algebra” or “equations” it can cause a feeling of panic and dread, especially if it is something that you don’t use regularly.

However, actually looking back at these maths topics as an adult has made me realise they are perhaps not as daunting as I once thought. In fact, I would even say I have quite enjoyed the process of relearning topics I hadn’t covered since school. 

I think this comes down to a mixture of the great resources out there (especially apps such as khan academy and brilliant that give you the ability to access and complete short lessons daily wherever you may be), as well as coming to it from a new perspective, as a tool that will aid me rather than another subject on the timetable.

So for those of you who still have negative memories of maths classes, perhaps try giving it another chance, even if just for 5 minutes a day, it might surprise you and might help things start to add up.

 

Things to check out: 


Stay motivated:

"Do something today that your future self will thank you for.” 

– Sean Patrick Flanery

 

 

 


Popular posts from this blog

Thinking about thinking...

Keeping an open mind...