Making problem solving a habit...

                              

gandalf looking confused

Focus this week:

This week the focus was on data structures and algorithms, a phrase I know can create a sense of panic for many. To be honest, I think I have subconsciously been putting off covering this topic because it sounded complicated and confusing.

However, after practicing questions on Leet Code and seeing their assessment of the performance of my code, I realised it was a topic I really needed to cover.

I have only really scratched the surface but have already been able to see the benefits of studying this subject. Learning Big O notation has helped me to assess the difference between different solutions to the same problem.  For example, performance will differ when calculating the sum of numbers from 1 to n using a for-loop, compared to a simple mathematical equation.

Answering lots of technical questions every once in a while, may help you become familiar with specific solutions, but in the long term isn't the best way to develop the skills necessary to efficiently break down a problem. 

This like anything is about practice...regular practice. Doing something for a shorter period of time but more regularly is a far more effective way to learn, as the repetition helps solidify the skills you are practicing. Therefore, I'm trying to ensure I answer at least one algorithmic question every day and turn problem solving into a habit.   


Things to check out:


Stay motivated:

“Every problem has a solution. You just have to be creative enough to find it.”

– Travis Kalanick

 

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking about thinking...

Keeping an open mind...

Things are starting to add up...